What a busy few weeks filled with excitement, lots of craziness and elation. Fall semester in full swing brings lots of projects, assignments, tests and many upcoming deadlines to meet. The weather in Nashville is slowly shifting into cooler temperatures with autumn just around the corner, and that alone excites me: can you say no more humidity and finally some cool evening runs in the near future!
But I’m also delighted in getting the opportunity to recently share my new home and all of its current projects to some friends. The entire motivation for putting much planning and time into the project is to make others feel comfortable and enjoy the atmosphere as much as I do. While my eagerness is still driving, I’m enthusiastic to share an update on my first complete room in my home. Yes, one is officially done. We’re making big strides now.
Let me lay it out on the table right now so you’re very aware. I am a planner by nature and a planner in all that I do. It’s simply a part of who I am. The project of “planning” my master bedroom and bathroom started ultimately months ago, and my brain is still adding details and accessories to enhance the space. I know there are others out there that will understand where I’m coming from. Go, Team Perfectionists!
Part of my planning nature involves an abundance of lists. Lists are, and ALWAYS will be, some of my best friends. So let’s chat about an exploration. Let’s go through the process of shaping a simple plan together. It will be a helpful starting point to creating your perfect space with a very simple list. Our first one won’t be crazy–I promise!
- Explore and get some inspiration. Sounds simple enough, right? Discover what YOU like. Use sites like Pinterest, HGTV, StyleAtHome or gather inspiration from blogs, Instagram or other sites you follow. It’s important to focus on you, and a few ideas, rather than an abundance of other’s ideas.
- Hone in on your top three inspirations. Whether it is a picture of an Italian garden filled with lush greenery, or your favorite sports team’s new uniforms colors. This will allow you to see your style and determine what you want in the space.
- Time for a scheme! Color is important and completely can make or break a space. Colors evoke emotion and colors stimulate ambience. It’s important to investigate colors and look at them in different lighting. Color is a powerful tool and a topic that we will talk about more on another day.
- Once the colors are in the works, let the creative juices start flowing. For me it’s sketching out my vision. I enjoy creating floor plans that let me see my space. Decide on a layout that makes sense for you. I personally think sketching and drawing ideas out is the best way to envision the space. But hey, that’s just me. Feel free to be creative with your process of visualizing.
- Think about what items are needed in your space. What is the space mostly used for? Is it a space where you spend a lot of time entertaining or a space that is mainly used for relaxing and unwinding? This shows you what items are a priority to have and what is more or less fluff and less functional.
- If you already have items in your home that you want to incorporate into the redesign, feel free to use those as a means to tie in to your colors. For instance, look at a favorite patterned pillow and pull out a shade of warm blue that you like. Look at swatches of colors and see if you can find something similar for your wall color. You will be surprised how small subtle colors can be interwoven in the space just by the details.
- Trust your intuition. So many will overthink the space and get caught up in the details. While the details matter, it’s important to step back and look at the whole picture. A space that is for you and to make you happy.
So here is my master bedroom, beginning with the sketching phase and inspiration to the final steps (thus far)!
What is the first space in your home that you would choose to “tackle” and renovate if you had the opportunity?